Overweight and Obesity- A rising epidemic
Overweight and Obesity is mainly because the diets of young children and alike are not being given due importance and as a result of this. So many children are over-weight and obese.
it is affecting young children and adolescents across the world in a massive manner. It is something that has crept up from behind in the line of international health concerns and continues to be a rising problem. This coupled with junk food replacing home cooked food. Where more and more people can find themselves in restaurants and eating places which are serving junk food, has become increasingly popular.
There are some facts which one should be aware of, when it comes to obesity amongst children:
- Childhood obesity has more than doubled amongst children and increased almost 4 times. When it comes to adolescents in the past 30 years.
- In 1980, the percentage of children who were obese in the US was roughly about 7% which drastically increased to about 18% in 2012. Adolescents have seen a similar kind of rise from 5% to 20% in the same period.
There are some consequences which an obese person will face when it comes to his health:
- Obese children or youth have a higher risk of cardiovascular problems such as high cholesterol or high blood pressure. There have been surveys which have been conducted which have seen children in the age group of 5-17 years to be at a 70% higher risk of a cardiovascular disease than others.
- Obese children are at a higher risk for developing pre-diabetes. Which is a condition in which the blood glucose levels are talking about the development of diabetes.
- Unfortunately, children who are obese are likely to be obese adults, which imply higher risk of adult health problems such as heart problems, type-2 diabetes, strokes, and several types of cancer.
How can one prevent this?
- The first and foremost step is to lead a healthy lifestyle right from the start. Which includes eating the right things and including a sufficient amount of physical activity. Which can prevent you from becoming obese.
- The dietary habits and the physical activity of a child can be influenced by many people. Who include his/her family, schools, medical institutions, government agencies and so on.
- Schools play an important role in this picture by maintaining a safe and healthy environment to promote good health. Schools should also include it as a part of their curriculum to ensure that students understand the benefits of a good and healthy lifestyle.
The effort needs to be an all-round one with many sections of the society pitching in to contribute towards the eradication of this problem. This includes the food industry as well which should feel the responsibility. Reduce their products of fat-based and processed foods. Children need to be given that level of education right from the start. So that they can understand how it will affect their adult life. When this sensitization is done. The problem will become a smaller one to deal with.