Things to include in our diet on a daily basis
It is important to understand how one incorporates certain things in their diet. So as to benefit from a healthy lifestyle.
This has been well explained in the form of a food pyramid. Which clearly explains why certain foods are good and why some of them. Even though they are most popular should be avoided or reduced to a minimum.
Let us look at some guidelines to help us understand what the things are which one should do in order to be healthy:
Diet on a daily basis
- It is always advisable to prepare and cook your meals at home rather than taking out ready to eat meals or take away. Which tend to be much higher in salt and fat and should not be eaten on a regular basis.
- Eating a well-rounded variety of fruits and vegetables which are coloured should be eaten; especially vegetables which are leafy green. Smoothies can also be counted as fruits and vegetables. But it is important to ensure that these are fruit or vegetable based smoothies. If you are buying it from outside, it is important to check the sugar and fat content.
- Whole grain breads, high fibre cereals, whole-wheat pasta and brown rice are amongst the few things that one should consume in order to keep our body fuelled.
- These foods ensure a slow release of energy and are considered to be one of the best types of food available.
- Instead of frying your food, choosing to steam, grill, bake or roasting and stir-frying are better options.
- Fish is a great source of protein and fish oil contains almost 50% protein in addition to containing vitamins and minerals. It is advisable to incorporate fish into your diet at least once a week.
- Shifting from fat-based oils to vegetable-based oils such as rapeseed oils and olive oils which are high in monounsaturated fats. Oils which are high in polyunsaturated fats are also recommended oils such as sunflower oil and corn oil.
Diet on a daily basis
- Adults need to balance a good diet with sufficient amount of fluids. If you are more physically active, you need to drink more water. Children and teenagers, basically because they are growing need more fluids than an average adult. Water is the best fluid.
- They say breakfast is the most important meal of the day- always ensure that you eat a healthy breakfast. Whether you eat any other meal in the day or not.
- If you are eating a balanced diet, then you will not feel the need to take any kind of food supplements. However, there are women of childbearing age who are sexually active and they are advised to take a certain amount of folic acid every day.
- If you are overweight, it is always advisable to see the quantity of food you are eating on a daily basis. Keep an account of how much food from the shelves is being consumed. As opposed to well-prepared home cooked meals. This will give you an idea of how you can change your lifestyle.